The Tobacco Control Unit coordinates intervention activities on tobacco control that are carried out in other center of ICO.
The ICO Centers in Girona, Badalona and Tarragona-Terres de l’Ebre coordinate with the UCT and the relevant smoke free hospital promoting committees, which they are part of sharing their activities.
The ICO L’Hospitalet launched the project “Smoke Free ICO” almost since the initiation of the hospital as an integrative project with a promoting Committee. Currently, the Committee is chaired by the Director General of the ICO and involves other members of the management team and representatives of professional groups. The Committee aims to encourage the participation of the entire Centre in promoting healthy environments and implementation of prevention and tobacco control policies. In addition, the professionals employed by external companies (such as security and cleaning) were also involved in order to support the enforcement of smoke-free areas regulation.
- Planning, promotion, monitoring and evaluation of activities and commitments with the Catalan Network of Smoke Free Hospitals:
- Smoking cessation consultations for patients and employees
- Required signs of smoke-free areas
- Tobacco prevalence survey among professionals
- Professional training in tobacco control
- Celebration of World No Tobacco Day
- Meetings with professional groups and involved external companies for monitoring and evaluation of commitments development.
- Yearly assessment of strategies and activities carried out though the “Self-Audit Questionnaire” of the International Network of Smoke Free Hospitals.
- Occasional activities aimed to reinforce the awareness among professionals such as competitions, exhibitions, excursions, etc. (during 2016 the second edition of the contest “Quit and win” will be organized).